Sunday 17 May 2009

Save on Petrol Costs

Petrol costs are a major part of my monthly budget as both me and my husband have a 25 mile round trip to get to work each day.

Last year I sold my car as it seemed like a good way to reduce our monthly costs and we didn't think we really needed two cars but I don't think we quite thought it through. I get the train to work each morning but my husband picks me up on a night which kind of defeats the object, doesn't it.

There are some strange people that get on my train every day. There is one woman who gets on with her shopping trolley every day, she once told me that she hated the hot weather as it made her bits itchy!!! Then there is the woman who wears stripy tights and flowery skirts everyday and I ended up spending the whole journey looking at pictures of her 'cute baby boy' - which turned out to be a BUDGIE!!!

The moral to this story is, when you're on a train keep your eyes down and your ipod on!

Back to the money saving part of this blog......

Even with soaring petrol costs you can still save some money. Fuel prices can vary considerably, so you need to make sure that you are using the cheapest local petrol station. This website will give you the five cheapest stations in your area.

I have signed up to this site and they send you e mails when the cheapest petrol station in your area changes. It only saves a few pence a litre but if you drive as much as we do its worth it.

Also, keep in mind that your driving style can have a big impact on your fuel costs. The average car uses 38% more fuel at 70mph than it does when travelling at 50mph. Studies have found that a car travelling at 90mph on a motorway will cost approximately £1.20 more on fuel every eight minutes than a car travelling at 70mph. So if you change your driving style a bit - you can reduce the amount of petrol you use.


No comments:

Post a Comment